Beyond digesting the food we eat, our intestinal microbiome plays a critical role in regulating hormones like estrogen, thyroid hormones, serotonin, and stress hormones. It also helps maintain a healthy metabolism and encourages better recovery from activity.
We still need to learn so much about the gut, but here are some simple things you can do to help your digestion, as well as your ability to stay active, no matter what stage or age.
- pay attention to fiber, it feeds those bacteria!
- get your veggies and aim for diversity
- ensure adequate protein in each meal
- eat probiotic foods that help by populating the gut (kimchi, miso, sauerkraut and unsweetened yogurt or kefir are good options)
- avoid sugary and processed foods
For more ideas on foods to support a healthy gut and fuel your busy life, book an appointment with our Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Clare Craig